Sunday, March 30, 2014

Andersonville and Ocmulgee - Georgia

Got up early cause it was church day. Then there is a knock on my door and it is the owner of the park, Mr. Bob Moss. He said that the secret service usually shows up around 8:00 to get the church ready and they hadn't shown up yet, which meant that President Carter was going to be a no-show today. Oh well....

I packed up and took off for Andersonville National Historical Site. Andersonville was a confederate civil war prison that had atrocious conditions. When I was in sixth grade, I read a book about Andersonville and I think that was the first time in my life that I really realized that there are horrible things in the world that happen to people. It was important to me to visit this place. Besides commemorating the civil war pow camp, it was the National POW museum. Very interesting although I had to leave during one of the movies. It was just too graphic for a gentle soul like myself. Miko and I walked around the actual prison grounds. The sun was out, it was a beautiful day and that all helped me to recover.

Onward to our fifth National Site in two days. Ocmulgee. This place is by Macon Georgia and it is the largest archeological site in the nation. This particular site has been occupied for 17,000 years. The first people came across the Bering Strait with dogs that look exactly like my dog Miko. The third group of people were called the Mississippians and they were mound builders like the mounds in southeastern Minnesota. We explored the mounds, climbed to the top of the biggest one and it was big.

I decided to stay at a county park. I was planning on staying for two nights because we had been going going going for the last couple of days. We needed to have some down time. I figured the Arrowhead County Park would be perfect for that – there are hiking trails and a lake. Then I got there to my site. I couldn't find the water to hook up so a ranger came to help out. He couldn't find it either so he called another ranger. Turns out there was a hole in the ground that was filled with scuzzy muddy water. Ranger #1 bailed the water out and there at the bottom of the pit, nestled in the mud was the faucet. Yuck. Needless to say, I am moving on and only spending one night.

Climbing to the top:

Looking down:

No comments:

Post a Comment