Friday, October 4, 2019

The Start Of The Great Acadia Adventure


Finally after years of trying to get there, I made it to Acadia National Park.  Granted, I probably could have made it there a lot earlier if I had developed the life skill of focusing and staying the path. I guess I'm a perhaps a little bit distractable. I start off with good intentions and then I see a bright shiny object that catches my attention and I'm off in a new direction. It doesn't matter though – I am in Acadia.

My first step was to check into the Ranger station to get my Junior Ranger book. They tried to talk me into doing the Senior Ranger program but I stayed the course and insisted that I needed to do the Junior Ranger program. I don't know why they were suggesting the Senior Ranger program for me.  Did they think I was not Junior Ranger material?  Ha, I laugh in their faces.  I also picked up some necessities such as the high/low tide schedule and a list of the Ranger led programs. I also picked up some tips on which trails I should do and also when I should do them.

Our first set of trails was the Wonderland Trail and the Ship Harbor Trail, two very short, easy, flat trails that took us through a pine forest to the shore. One of the wonderful things about Acadia is that they allow dogs on the trails. This is so unusual for National Parks. Miko and I were thrilled to be out hiking together again. 


It was low tide









I stayed at Hadley's Point Campground which was only a few miles from the park's entrance. It was also only a quarter mile from the ocean. Miko and I would walk down to watch the sunset. We didn't catch too many super sunsets as either there were no clouds (which really make a sunset) or the sky was completely covered with clouds which blocked the sunset. Luck of the draw I guess. 



No comments:

Post a Comment