Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Good Job Mr. Rockefeller


Acadia National Park was created in part by land and other donations by John D. Rockefeller Jr. Between 1919 and 1931, Rockefeller, who was opposed to the introduction of automobiles on the island, personally oversaw the construction of a network of carriage roads which were closed to those new fangle automobiles. These roads contained sixteen granite bridges and two gatehouses. I took a Ranger led walk to hear about the carriage roads and see two of these bridges.

The bridges were specifically designed to blend into the landscape in an organic manner, and are sited so that they may be used as viewing platforms for the scenery and so that they may themselves be viewed. (Wikipedia). Each bridge is different and somewhere on the bridge is a date stone telling us when the bridge was built.





Hard to see but there is a small waterfall in the background that Rockefeller specifically wanted to frame with the bridge






Some weird mushrooms on the hike



I should probably look up the names of these mushrooms  

After my Ranger walk I headed over to the Asticou Inn in Northeast Harbor. This is one of the other premier places on the island where you can get popovers. I feel a little funny just ordering popovers, so I also ordered Lobster Stew because, well, just because. The popovers not only came with butter and strawberry jam as spreads, but for an added charge you could get blueberry jam or chocolate, or cinnamon butter or one other spread that I don't remember beyond it had something to do with lemon.
I wasn't shy and I ordered all of the spreads. 


I think my Lobster Stew was mostly butter and milk but it was yummy



My outside dining view of the harbor

No comments:

Post a Comment