Saturday, October 5, 2019

And It Goes Boom


I had bought the Car Trip Audio CD at the Acadia Visitor Center, popped in the truck and started doing the Park Loop Road. I was really glad I had bought it, at least in the beginning before I got bored with it. The CD would have you stopping at every pull out and scenic view. It explained what you were seeing and then you would move on to the next scenic view. One of the scenic views had us stopping at a place where there was a series of switch backs down to the rocks where we could watch the waves. As this was my first ocean encounter as the tide was coming in, I found it rather exciting. I must admit though, stopping at every single pull out got a little bit old and while the narrator was full of interesting facts, sometimes he did go on a bit long. Side note: I only followed the CD for about half of the Park Loop Road and ended up giving the CD to some fellow campers who had just rolled into town.






Secret shoreline courtesy of the Audio CD


One of the trails I wanted to hike was called Ocean Path which ran between the Ocean and the Park Loop Road. Quite the inventive name, isn't it? It starts at Sand Beach and runs a 1 ½ miles down to Otter Point. Most of Acadia's shoreline is granite. Sand Beach is rather unique in that amid all of this granite, this beach is comprised of sand made from shell fragments that were created by thousands of years of pounding surf.


Sand Beach



About a mile down the path is Thunder Hole. Thunder Hole got it's name because of the loud sound that the waves sometimes make when the waves are coming in as high tide starts rising. The sound is quite deep and sounds like far off thunder. It is made as the waves rush in and create pressure so that the air that is trapped sort of booms. Conditions have to be right for you to hear the sound. I heard many stories of people who tried several times to get there and hear the sound and failed in their quest. The ranger told me that I had the best chance to hear this sound about an hour and a half before high tide. I checked the weather and there were high surf warnings. I figured that if I timed it right, the high surf would help and chances would be good. Chances were not only good, but perfect. Before I even got to Thunder Hole I could hear it booming.  I lead a charmed life.

This is where the sound originates.  Notice the walkway.  For some reason they had it closed off





And Boom!!! Glad I'm not on the walkway now

No comments:

Post a Comment