Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Day At The Beach

Short travel day today so we had no rest stop adventures.

On the way to Alum Creek State Park which is just north of Columbus, Ohio,I happened to notice that there was very little car traffic on my road – it was 90% trucks. I sort of like hanging out with the trucks – they aren't darting around like a bunch of gnats as the car people do. You sort of hang out with a set group of trucks who are all going the same speed as you are. They become your on-the-road peeps. Just about the time I was thinking about how cool the trucks are and what weird things they haul, what do I see coming at me on the other side of the freeway, but a truck that is carrying a full scale locomotive. It was one of those old-fashioned steam types – it was all shiny black with bright red trim. It truly sparkled in the sun.

Much as I will miss New Lisbon Campground from last night, it is really nice to be back into a state park. Not only that, but this particular park belongs to Passport America (of which I am a member) so I get camping for half price. $14 for my berth here. Score!!!!
 

 

By noon we were all set up. One of the reasons I picked this park was because it had a four acre dog park attached to it. I figured that Miko would really like to stretch her legs after being cooped up in the RV for so many miles. Not only does it have four acres all fenced in, they have a fenced in Dog Beach. We ended up spending most of our time at the beach with all the retrievers and labs. Those goofy dogs are running around, fetching balls like mad. Sort of like the EveryReady Bunny on steroids. Miko wanted nothing to do with these guys, all she wanted to do was cavort in the waves, all by her lone self. We spent about an hour and a half straight, her chasing and disciplining waves and me watching. Occasionally one of the retrievers would come by to see what she was doing but would lose interest in wave catching immediately. Miko is one tired dog tonight but we both had a pleasant day hanging at the beach.


 

I am a planner. I plan my trips down to the second. Where I'm going, where I'm staying, what I'm going to do. I love to plan. That said, nine times out of ten, I never follow through on my plan. Something might pop up and I'm off in a totally different direction from the original plan. I think this is one of the things that drive Tony nuts. He plans, he has great follow through. Me, not so much.

So, originally, I was going to be heading east, but today I decided to take a small detour north and pick up a few sights. We will see how that goes, see if I even follow through on this new plan. But I have a plan for the moment, subject to change at any time.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment