Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Candy Shop

 

Lou and Dave felt the wine country calling them so they went their way for a couple of days while I headed for Sacramento. I didn't do much in Sacramento except go to the Crocker Art Museum. Founded in 1885, it is the oldest art museum west of the Mississippi River. It specializes in Californian art.

The museum had a special exhibit called “The Candy Store – Funk, Nut, and Other Art With A Kick” which 'helped put the whimsical, funky, and irreverent aesthetic of California's Central Valley on the art-historical map.'

All those little spots you see on the painting are dabs of paint directly from the tube.


The little dabs


This reminds me of a Yves Tanguy painting.  Or perhaps Picasso?


While the Candy Store was entertaining, I found the rest of the museum much more to my liking. I actually felt rather proud of myself because several times I walked into a room, saw an art piece and knew the artist. This was all because I had visited the Anderson Museum in Roswell previously on this trip. If you remember, the Anderson Museum had an artist residency program and the Anderson showcased many of these artist's works. These artists started out at the Anderson and ended up at the Crocker and even though I'm not all that knowledgeable about art, I recognized the artists. Yay Me!!


Sand particles were incorporated in this piece




I just liked this one

This piece was about 15 feet tall.
 TV show 'The Squid Game', anybody?



No comments:

Post a Comment