Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Into The Forest I Must Go

 

Back in our working days, Lou and I worked with a woman named Hongyu. She is an amazing woman, born in Mongolia, grew up in China during the Cultural Revolution and immigrated to the U.S. She has traveled extensively throughout the world on her own. I think she is one of the bravest women I've ever met. She now lives in the San Francisco area in a senior housing development called Rossmoor. This housing development has 10,000 residents and it's own zip code. Rossmoor is it's own city. She took us on a tour, fed us lunch. She taught us how to make spring rolls. I won't tell you how incredibly sloppy our spring rolls where compared to hers but it sure was fun to do.


These bad boys were getting ready to rumble


More wildlife



I got to go across the Golden Gate Bridge!!!!






I have been hankering to see some redwood trees so it is off to Muir Woods National Monument we went. The Monument protects old growth coast redwoods, one of the few strands remaining in the San Francisco area. Part of the reason, they are still standing is that they are in a deep valley and it was near impossible to cut them down and get them out of this valley because of the terrain. Forgive me for waxing spiritually, but when I found myself in the middle of these redwoods it was almost magical. These trees are old souls and emit a feeling such a sense of depth and peacefulness.






The redwoods in Muir Woods were shorter redwoods than you find further north in California. 
The tallest redwoods here were about 200 feet tall.  Notice the little person walking in the woods.

The UN first met in Muir Woods. 
San Francisco was going to be the location of the headquarters but Rockefeller said
 "hey, I've got some free land back out east" and hence the headquarters are out east.


Lou and Davey




No comments:

Post a Comment