Sunday, June 9, 2024

I Came To The Mountain...I Think

 Mount Rainier is the highest mountain in Washington state at 14,411 feet. It is a volcano and there is a high probability that it will erupt in the near future. Because it is so close to Seattle, Mount Rainier is considered to be one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world. Let me repeat that – one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world. So... guess where I'm going. 


I stayed at a lovely nearby campground called Elkamp. I thought it might be an Elk hunting camp but they named it that because they were thinking Elegant Kamping. The sites were big and they were all tucked into the woods. There was a creek adjoining the campground where there was a huge field. They had put out Adirondack chairs out in the meadow where you could take your wine and sit and look at the mountains. I decided that this was a great opportunity to practice forest bathing. Forest bathing is going out in nature and practicing mindfulness. I took my wine and no electronics. It was lovely but I have to say, I only lasted about 20 minutes and mindfulness was probably not achieved.

My campsite

The meadow
The clouds were low this day


One of the highest places you can drive to in the National Park is an area called Paradise – hence you are on the road to Paradise. Along the way is several waterfalls. The prettiest one was Christine Falls.

Christina Falls
a 60 foot drop


When I got to Paradise, it was snowing and sleeting. The winds were blowing and visibility was almost zilch. Paradise is where you get to see mighty Mount Rainier. Based on my limited experience, I'm not sure there is even a mountain here. I certainly didn't see one.

Mount Rainier is supposedly somewhere off in the distance


On the way to Paradise, outside of the park is Recycled Spirits of Iron, a sculpture garden. The artist asks for donations and has set up three welder tanks labeled Democrat, Republican and Independent.  You were supposed to put your donation in the tank that spoke to you the most.  






I think this is a memorial to some of the artist's family members.

And the band played on




No comments:

Post a Comment