Friday, June 28, 2024

Buddhas And Smoke Jumpers

 I have moved on to Montana which is special in so many ways. Besides the usual, I have finally filled in large portions of my map. I put a sticker on the map every time I camp in a new state. I'm probably never going to camp in Alaska or Hawaii so those states will remain forever empty. The only states that are missing are those pesky little New England states :New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut. They are hard states to bag. Aesthetically speaking, my map looks pretty good without them.  





With a name like Garden of 1000 Buddhas, one probably/definitely wants to see this. It is located in a tiny little town of Arlee located right outside of Missoula, Montana. The garden's primary purpose is to promote global peace and prosperity by nurturing harmony among diverse religions, ethnicities, and cultural systems. OK, I didn't write this last sentence, I took it off of a plaque at the entrance. You probably couldn't tell that, right? I have to say that their primary purpose is no small task.


Entrance/Exit

Stupas




 The 1000 Buddhas are arranged as spokes in a circle with a 24 foot tall statue of Yum Chenmo (the Great Mother) in the center. When you enter, you are advised to walk clockwise around the outside as a sign of respect.





Yum Chenmo

Up on the hill is a prayer flag tent. They replace the flags once a year in June. They were looking rather ragged when I was there so I guess it hadn't happened yet. I have to say, they probably look better than I would if I had been out in the elements for a whole year. 





Behind the prayer flag tent were three statues. There was something very special about one of them. If you stood in front of him, you were overwhelmed with feelings of calmness, safety and dare I say – love. It wasn't just me, I asked Lou to stand in front of him and look at him. It was very emotional for her also. It was a little strange to have that happen.





On another note, in Missoula is the Smoke Jumpers Museum. These are the people who jump out of airplanes to fight forest fires. One of the newer Smoke Jumpers talked about his training and how they fought the fires once they were on the ground. They have to jump with all their gear attached to them which weigh about 110 pounds. He said that in training they have to suit up with the 110 pounds and be able to walk three miles in under an hour. If they can't do that, they wash out of the training. There are a few women Smoke Jumpers. There training is exactly the same as the men.

1 comment:

  1. All so interesting! And you’re a great writer! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete