Thursday, April 22, 2021

Steps, Steps, Steps

 

I'm in Asheville North Carolina, lots of mountains, waterfalls and art. What's not to like?

I met a new acquaintance at the Southern Highlands Folk Art Center: many baskets, weavings, woodwork and glass work. It's nice doing something with somebody every so often. Most the time, I am a solo traveler.

We parted company and I ran over to the Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center where I could get my Blue Ridge Parkway Junior Ranger badge. I can't travel too much farther south on the Parkway when I am hauling my camper because there are too many low bridges. I sort of like the roof on my camper.

I decided to drive over to Chimney Rock State Park, about 21 miles and an hour drive. Again, little curvy mountain roads, but at least all I was driving was the truck, no camper. Chimney Rock is one of those iconic sites that just says “North Carolina”. The rock is 315 foot tall where from the top you can see about 75 miles in all directions. There is an elevator that will take you to the top, but the day I was there, it was closed for maintenance. That means that I will have to climb the steps. But, before I do that, there is the Hickory Nut waterfall that must be seen. This waterfall has a drop of 404 feet, it should be impressive. I am walking the Hickory Nut Trail, you have to climb down 170 steps to get to the trail head (that would be 170 steps back up when you leave, of course). The sky is getting darker and darker. A major storm is coming in. At one point, I meet a ranger who tells me to go back – heavy rain, large hail is expected. I was so close to the falls, that I wanted to press on. He let me go on down the trail. I am flying down the trail – I met nobody else. By the time I get to the falls, I'm a little freaked out because it is getting so dark. Quick photo op and I go flying back to those steps. I did get totally wet because I left my rain gear in the truck and of course there is no way I would need it.

Chimney Rock


The start of Hickory Nut Falls 
Once I got down the mountain, I looked over and off in the distance saw the falls. 
 It was much more impressive when you could see the whole 404 foot drop

By the time I got back up the steps and to the visitor center, I found out that the top of Chimney Rock was closed because of lightning. I could not climb those 500 some steps up there and look at that view. Bummer......not! I was ready to be done climbing steps Note: 10 steps is considered a flight of stairs.

Of course on my way back down the mountain I found the Great Woodland Adventure Trail, a half mile loop that was made for the kids. I was already wet, what difference did a more rain make? At various points along the trail, the Chimney Rock people had put North Carolina native animal sculptures with signs telling the kids about the habits of these animals. It was cute.






2 comments:

  1. This one looks like so much fun! We are hoping to head that way next year. A trip to the Smokies, then Ocracoke Island, then loop back via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun trip. Let me know when you guys go. I was going to go to the Smokey’s but got really hung up in western North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete