Friday, March 12, 2021

And I Thought I Was Obsessive

 

We all know my love of waterfalls. I think, in addition to all my other quests, that I should see the largest waterfall in each state. It doesn't have to be the tallest or the widest, but perhaps the ones that have the most volume coming over the top. Oh, who am I kidding – I'll go see the tallest and the widest also. I must admit, I like the wider ones better than the taller ones.

All that said, I visited Florida's tallest waterfall, located near Chipley. Chipley is located about midpoint in the Florida panhandle. The waterfall is the big draw in the Falling Waters (aptly named) State Park. I found the state park itself rather lacking. I did most of the hiking trails in probably about an hour. The waterfall itself flew over the top, fell 73 feet into a sinkhole and disappeared. Nobody knows where the water goes after it hits the sinkhole. As I do some introspection into why I like waterfalls, part of it is seeing it hit a pool of water. I guess I like the splat. There was none with this waterfall. Oh well, it was still a waterfall.

See it just disappears



The top


Just cause they are cute. 
It must have been raining or something because Miko has on her thundershirt.



I joined an organization called Harvest Hosts(HH). Harvest Hosts negotiates with various organizations to allow Rvers to camp overnight without a charge. Most of these places are wineries, breweries and farms. It hasn't worked out very well for me, because you can only spend one night at each of these establishments and I'm finding that I now like to stay a little longer than one night. I used HH once in Nebraska at the Golden Spike Tower and I used it again in Tallahassee at the Tallahassee Auto Museum where I parked in a large field with no hookups which was fine. Across the street, within walking distance was a Farm to Table restaurant. I walked over and picked up some takeout which was so much better than anything I can cook.

It may not look all that appetizing but it sure was good. 
Shrimp, crab balls and andouille sausage all over cheese grits


The Tallahassee Auto Museum was pretty impressive. The guy who opened it is a collector. I don't mean a collector like a stamp collection collector but a COLLECTOR. Let's just say that he had many varied interests. The museum is 100,000 square feet, two floors and when it was constructed, it had Florida's largest solar array mounted on the roof.  


Shiny


There was row after row






Supposedly Wyatt Earp's gun is in here


Pianos


Outboard motors





Cash registers, fans and typewriters


Batmobiles that were actually used in the Batman movies



Miko looks impressed, doesn't she.  This was a dog-friendly establishment.

There were also collections of knives, farm tractors, baseball and golf items, baby bottles.  The list goes on and on.  



2 comments:

  1. Closer tho home, we loved Copper Falls in Wisconsin. What a collector!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice waterfalls and collections, but WOWZERS!! Shrimp and grits!!! My mouth was watering as soon as I saw that photo! Was it as good as what we enjoyed in Macon? I've been searching unsuccessfully for shrimp and grits that good. Sending hugs to you, Miko and Jogger!

    ReplyDelete