Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Blakeley State Park - Alabama

 

Motoring along I came to Mobile Alabama. Again, I lucked out and was able to get into Blakeley State Park. I loved this park – it had full hookups, every site was a pull thru, you could hardly see your neighbors because they were hidden behind the trees. Besides the wonderful campground and the hiking trails which meandered through the oak forests, the park has a lot going on for it. Blakeley is now a ghost town which, in the 1800s, had a deep natural port that was reachable by ships that could not navigate to Mobile. After the Mobile Harbor was dredged, Blakeley withered away. Blakeley was also the the place where one of the last battles of the Civil War was fought. The Union won in April of 1865.


My campsite



Another glorious tree


They say that during the Blakeley battle, Confederate soldiers were found hiding in this tree



The bay



For my northern neighbors - Spring is coming - Have faith


I don't know what this bug is, but it is huge, maybe a couple of inches?
 I told him that he was pretty incredible and he just sort of sat there and let me admire him.  


1 comment: