Thursday, April 14, 2016

Inspiration and Introspection (in a very minor way, of course)


I am chasing a the proverbial spring. When I left Montgomery, all the azaleas were drooping, dogwoods had lost their luster. Moving 150 miles north to Gadsden in northeastern Alabama, I have found spring again. Although my impression, based on very limited experience, is that Alabamans are not as showy as Georgians. If there is a hole in the landscape, Georgians will fill it with something that flowers profusely. Alabamans, not so much.

I read a lot of RV blogs. I get a lot of ideas about where to go, what to see from these blogs. I also get to know these fellow bloggers, in a literary sense. It seems that most of them have some sort of goal with their travels. There are the lighthouse fanatics, the aeronautic zealots, the pickleball enthusiasts. I have come to the conclusion, subject to change at any moment of course, that besides weird museums, my reason to be might just be waterfalls. A waterfall is a powerful force – there is no stopping it, yet the farther it falls, the lighter and frothier it gets. They are constantly changing, yet staying the same. I could sit for hours watching waterfalls.

So off I go to see Noccalula Falls, yet another waterfall where another Indian Maiden jumped to her death. I wonder how many Indian maiden legends there are that are tied to waterfalls. Noccalula Falls is an impressive 90 foot drop into a gorge. The city of Gadsden has done a great job by building a park around the falls. There are hiking trails, a wedding chapel and a miniature train that you can ride. The RV campground overlooks the falls and the gorge. Full Hookups, great WiFi – all for $21 a night. Originally I was just going to stay the one night, see the falls and skedaddle, but I ended up staying two nights. Good WiFi is a powerful draw.
 
Notice Indian Maiden on the right side all ready to jump
 
Looking down river

 

Actually, I found another Junior Ranger opportunity. Geez, sometimes I get so obsessed with things.

Somebody else evidently got a little obsessed with this Junior Ranger thing - Quite the inspiration



From the Little River Canyon National Preserve brochure:

It is one of the nation's longest rivers that forms and flows for most of its length atop a mountain. Then it plunges off the Cumberland Plateau at the head of Little River Canyon. The result is one of the most extensive canyon and gorge systems in the eastern United States and one of the South's clearest, wildest waterways.

Little River Canyon National Preserve was about an hour away and there was a waterfall. Imagine my surprise when I got to the visitor center and Miko was invited in to watch the movie with me and she also got a dog treat. Score! We saw the 45 foot tall waterfall and we drove about 25 miles down one side of the Gorge Rim. This gorge happened to be 600 feet tall in some places. It was a lovely day for a drive. Again, pictures don't do it justice.
 
 
A lovely waterfall
 
The gorge
 
Mushroom Rock - in the middle of the road
 



No comments:

Post a Comment