I feel perhaps I should start off by mentioning this post will be mostly of pictures that I saw and liked. There probably won't be much else so feel free to go directly to the bottom and leave a comment. If you chose to stay, it will be mini masterclass in composition, light and feeling. Not really but it sounded good when I wrote it.
We bused several days into Amsterdam to visit the great Dutch Masters plus a few other more contemporary artists (think late 1800's) We visited several of the most famous of Amsterdam's art museums. There was the Rijksmuseum probably best known for housing the world's finest collection of Dutch Golden Age masterpieces. The Van Gogh Museum contains the largest collection of Van Gogh's painting and drawings in the world. The Rembrandt House Museum was where Rembrandt lived and worked for about twenty years in the mid 1600's.
I developed a new appreciation for the Dutch Masters (Rembrandt, Vermeer, Hals, etc) after listening to our morning lectures and then going to see the actual paintings. Before this trip, I guess I always thought that all they did was paint stodgy old portraits. Now, I realize that their “brilliance stemmed from revolutionary mastery of light, profound realism, and an unprecedented focus on ordinary human life. “
Ok, I think at this point, I should perhaps mention that I might have snuck off to explore some more contemporary artists in the nearby Moco and Stedelijk museums. Realism is good, can keep you grounded, but every now and then you have to let loose.
First though, you cannot go to Amsterdam without giving yourself the gift of a canal ride.
| The Milkmaid Vermeer 1658 |
| Vision of Zacharias Rembrandt 1633 |
| Portrait of Maria Trip Rembrandt 1633 look at the detail in the lace |
| A Pair of Shoes Van Gogh 1886 Van Gogh purchased these shoes in a flea market and then walked thru the mud with then to make them appear interesting enough to paint them |
| The Water Bull Jackson Pollack 1946 |
| Black Garment Magdalena Abakanowicz 1968 When you know her back story, her art becomes really interesting. |
| Retrospect Keith Haring 1989 Who doesn't love Keith Haring? |
| Girl With Balloon Banksy 2002 Probably one of his most famous prints |
| Olive Grove in Collioure Matisse 1905 |
| Large Study Kadinsky 1914 |
No comments:
Post a Comment