Thursday, May 6, 2021

Way Out West in Indianapolis

 

As I start my slow trek westward, back toward Minnesota, it turns out that Indianapolis is right smack dab in the way. Indianapolis has a state park located downtown on the canal. There is lots to do in the park – they have walking paths, museums, bikes and kayak rentals, IMAX – it is impressive that Indiana allocated all this land and planned this out. The Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art called to me. I wanted to see Hard Twist: Western Ranch Women Photographs but the exhibit closed three days before I got there. It was a small museum, but they had some big names there: Remington, O'Keefe, Thomas Hart Benton among others. Looking at the landscape art really made me want to go back out west again. As one friend told me – some people are just never satisfied where they are at.


I need to go here.


Not a photograph


The American Indian artifacts were cool – they were mostly western tribes catagorized by area: Alaskan, Californian, Pueblo. I suppose that makes sense given the name of the museum. Besides the traditional baskets, blankets and moccasins, there was also contemporary art also.



No comments:

Post a Comment