Sunday, March 19, 2023

Glamping


Leaving the marshes and sea islands of southeastern South Carolina, it is time for sand, sun and the ocean. Surfside Beach is south of Myrtle Beach – in fact it is so close that it probably should be called South Myrtle Beach. I am staying at what is now called a 'Mega Resort' – Ocean Lakes Resort – a metropolis with 850 RV sites, grocery store, laundromat, wave pool and water park. One of those places where you never have to leave because all of your creature comforts are here.

I don't usually like RV parks where you are right on top of your neighbor. I found myself rather liking this place. I was just steps from the ocean, the neighbors were lovely, Miko was allowed on the beach AND they deliver pizza to your site.


Look! You can see the ocean from my site.  I got a site that was advertised as having shade. 
Notice the lonely palm trees which I guess classified as shade.


The beach - it was never crowded
but then the temperatures were not quite condusive to lolling about on the beach. 

RVs as far as the eye can see


You can see how close to the water we were though


Down the road a bit was the town of Georgetown. Georgetown is a cute little town. I was there on a Saturday and it seemed like the sort of town that people would take day trips to go and wander around walking the Harbor walk and shopping the little shops. I was there for two reasons, one of which was to visit the Rice Museum. I had the address, I walked up and down Front Street looking for the museum. Finally, after not finding it, I called them up on the phone. The guy who answered the phone said 'You are standing right in front us – I can see you'. Evidently to get to the museum you had to enter a gift shop. My navigation skills shine again. I found out that you can only visit the Rice Museum if you do a tour and all the tours were booked. But, I was free to wander around the gift shop. I guess I can put the Rice Museum in the category of “Bust”.

The second reason I was in Georgetown was to go to the Gullah Museum. I have been visiting Gullah Geechee sites from Savannah up to Georgetown. To refresh your memory, the Gullah Geechee people were enslaved people from Africa who worked the sea cotton fields on the islands located in southeastern United States. They were very isolated from mainstream culture and developed their own language and culture which was a combination between their African roots and plantation life. This museum was sort of a mom-pop operation but it was interesting and educational. There were herbs used to treat illness, story-telling quilts and also some surprises.

Mama exhorted her children at every turn to 'jump at the sun'.
We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground
Zora Neale Hurston








I almost got myself one of these.....just in case.



My last day in the Myrtle Beach area I went to Huntington Beach State Park. I had tried to get a campsite there but nowadays it seems that it is near impossible to camp in state parks due to so many people vying for the limited spaces. Huntington Beach was supposed to have the most pristine beaches in South Carolina. It is also the home of Atalaya Castle.

Atalaya was the winter home for Archer Huntington (son of a railroad magnate and a major philanthropist) and his wife, Anna Hyatt Huntington who was one of New York City's most prominent sculptors. She specialized in large scale animal sculptures. Atalaya is Moorish in style and consists of 30 rooms around three sides of the perimeter. The fourth side was Anna's studio where she not only had her studio but pens for her animal models. These animals were horses, dogs and even bears.


The entry 

One of the central courtyards.  Notice the Haint blue window grates












 

1 comment:

  1. I missed the Rice museum fiasco. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete