Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Brew City

 

I stopped in a nice little campground right outside of Wisconsin Dells – Country Roads. I only spent one night there, but I really wish I had spent more time. It was so close to all that Wisconsin Dells had to offer and you know, I've never ever gotten to ride in a duck boat. Oh well, as they say, maybe next time.


I called ahead (one day) to make reservations at the Wisconsin State Fair RV Park in Milwaukee. There are not too many places to camp in the Milwaukee area. The guy on the phone told me that he was going to have to charge me extra because it was “race weekend”. I spent Friday thru Sunday here. The first two days, there was the occasional race car sound and I'm thinking this isn't all that bad. Whoa – come Sunday and it was so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. Those drivers and everybody else associated with this sport must be deafer than doorknobs.


The Basilica of Saint Josephat was the third minor basilica in the United States and was modeled after St. Peter's in Rome. Interesting fact: The U.S. Post Office and Customs House in Chicago was being razed. They purchased 200,000 tons of salvage material for $20,000 and had it delivered to Milwaukee on 500 railroad flatcars, thus saving about $50,000 in construction materials. I walked into the church and have to admit, I was blown away. This church was grand, grand, grand. I then proceeded to get kicked out because they were going to have a wedding.  




The Dome


Explanation of the dome




Frank Lloyd Wright, a Wisconsin native, fixated on the idea of economical housing for working people. He created American System-built Homes, a collection of almost but not quite fab small houses. The idea was to compete with the Sears Catalog Houses. The enterprise was not a success for various reasons, but on the west side of Milwaukee is the Burnham Block. Tours are available on Saturdays. All the roofs were flat - what was he thinking - this is snow country!!


Two duplexes


A 1000 sq ft single family house


Bobrowitz Spectacular Sculptures is located on six acres in the town of Colgate, about a half hour northwest of Milwaukee. Paul Bobrowitz has been creating his art for over two decades and has won several “prestigious” awards. The man is prolific. Almost every inch of his property was covered with his sculptures.  


The driveway to the house


lklkl;k
There was big and there was little.










View of the back yard


View of the side yard


As I've said before, I admire people who have a passion and pursue it. This is the case of The National Bobblehead Museum and Hall of Fame. Two college students started collecting them and soon had acquired over 7000, most of which are related to sports. Sports and bobbleheads seem to go together.

Interesting fact: Liberace has a bobblehead and according to this bobblehead, it tells me that Liberace is from the Milwaukee area. He wasn't all glitter and glam, he was also cheese and beer.  There is one serious fault to the museum. When you see all these bobbleheads, they cry out to be touched and bobbled. NO Touching. They should have one where you can bobble in the beginning. The urge to bobble can be overwhelming. Yes, I did get reprimanded.





The political section


Stranger Things



The Milwaukee Art Museum building contains over forty galleries. The building itself is lovely. It has a giant sunscreen that looks like wings and opens and closes depending on the weather.




Overlooking Lake Michigan

The sunshade fully extended





Cousin It?
Harry Bertoia

This is made of clear plastic buttons and glue
Tara Donovan

I love the design of these radios


I like glass

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you can find the most interesting places to visit. Cool!!

    ReplyDelete