Friday, October 16, 2020

Wind, Snow and Waterfalls

 

I continued across Nebraska and spent the weekend at a lovely little place called Oliver Reservoir Recreation Area. It was off-grid so I had a chance to further explore my new solar system. I have to admit, I'm pretty happy with it. The best thing is that I have confidence in it now. One less worry to deal with.


My View






After an idyllic weekend, I finally left Nebraska and headed into Wyoming. I was a little bit worried about the wind.. It was out of the west, so it was a direct head wind. I could tell as my gas mileage really started to tank. Then I saw on the electronic signs that they had “Warning – Extreme Winds 40+ mph – Gusts 60+ mph. I would normally never ever drive with winds like this, but to tell you the truth, I couldn't really tell they were so bad. My rig pulled unbelievably easy. To add insult to injury though, as I drove up the Lincoln Highway and got some altitude, Ms. Weather had the audacity to start snowing.


I got to Rawlins, Wyoming. I had planned to get full hookups and do laundry plus some other chores. Plans change. I could barely get my truck doors closed, the wind was so strong. I hooked up my electric, moved the animals into the camper and settled in while the camper rocked and rolled all night long.


Speaking of plans changed, I had planned to head to Salt Lake City. I was looking at a map and saw that I could just as easily head down into Colorado and see my son, Nate. He lives in Breckinridge and he drove a couple of hours to come and spend the day with me. I was thrilled. I was at Rifle Gap State Park.  The park was aptly named as it was hunting season and you could hear shots off in the distance.  After eating some lunch, we went four miles up the road to Rifle Falls State Park to see waterfalls!!!! My first waterfalls on this trip.  We saw the falls, both from the bottom and then we hiked up to the top.  Seeing my son and waterfalls - life just doesn't get any better than this.  


Rifle Gap



The Campground
I'm at the far left
 














1 comment:

  1. Keep these great posts coming girl. See you in Quartzsite, sometime.

    ReplyDelete