Saturday, October 24, 2020

Black Is Black

 

Black Canyon of the Gunnison – another canyon, another heart stopping trip to the edge. Black Canyon is, well,  black. Part of it is the rock, but the other part is that it is a very narrow canyon with very tall vertical walls. The Gunnison River flows through the canyon and is responsible for the landscape. If I thought the Colorado Monument had steep drop offs, I had another think coming. According to the brochure, at one point it is 2,250 feet deep. The canyon ranges from a wide spot at Chasm View of 1,100 feet wide to the Narrows which is only 40 feet wide.

I had heard that the way to really see the canyon was to book a boat ride down the Gunnison, but because of Covid, all boat tours have been canceled for 2020. That left me with driving along the rim and getting my nerve up to get near those steep drop offs. I think it was only a six mile drive along the rim. The hard part was that it was really difficult to find any sort of parking space at the overlooks. There are so many people out enjoying their parks. I miss traveling with my little sedan where I could just whip into tiny spots. Now that I'm driving my diesel monster truck (and feeling very macho at that), it is more difficult to squeeze into even regular sites.  Traditionally, the best time to travel in an RV is from Labor Day to Memorial Day. Summer is when all the families take to the road with the little ones They tend to disappear when school starts. That is not happening this year.

I feel like I should apologize for the quality of my pictures. Taking pictures at high noon tends to give them a washed out appearance and they are not as striking as they could be.







Gunnison River


Seems like every park has one lone spire jutting into the air





Way down there is the Gunnison leaving the Black Canyon


It seems the kids have worked out their bed issues


No comments:

Post a Comment