Sunday, September 22, 2019

Farewell Hudson River Valley


Poor Martin Van Buren. He gets no respect. Historians and political scientists rank him as an average or below-average U.S. President. He was a member of the New York Senate, Attorney General of New York, US Senator, Governor of New York, US Secretary of State, US Minister to the United Kingdom, Vice President under Andrew Jackson and the eighth president of the United States from 1837 to 1841. I guess we could probably call him a career politician, although he said he was happiest being a farmer. According to Ranger Andrew, Van Buren was responsible for establishing both the Democratic AND Republican party.

Van Buren grew up in Kinderhook, a small village about an hour north of Hyde Park. After his term as president, he bought a house in Kinderhook which he called Lindenwood. 


Lindenwood
Van Buren was the first president born under the U.S flag (previous presidents were born British subjects). 
 He also was the first and only president where English was a second language.  He grew up speaking Dutch.


Looking up into the tower


The Hudson River Valley was a very productive Junior Ranger area for me.



Check out the badge on the right


Down in Poughkeepsie, New York is an old railroad bridge which has been re-purposed as a pedestrian bridge called Walkway Over The Hudson. At a length of 6,768 feet, it is the longest pedestrian footbridge in the World. Of course Miko and I had to walk across it. I was a little worried because it is 213 feet tall and I have this height issue but we persevered and made it across. Actually, it wasn't too bad when we were over the river. What bothered me the most was at the beginning of the bridge when we were many feet above houses and roads. 






The Hudson River is a mighty, mighty river








I stayed at Interlake RV Park.  It was the closest park to the sights and it was a pleasant park.  It had sort of a retro feel to it, sort of what I imagine old time camping was like with a lot of area between sites, lots of trees and very laid back. I actually stayed here for a week which is so unusual for me.  I think I'm beginning to get into this slowing down thing.


See what I mean about Retro?  An actual phone booth with a working phone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment