Saturday, April 21, 2018

Omaha - I Hardly Knew You

You can't go to Nebraska without going to it's biggest city, Omaha. Omaha had a little bit of a special draw for me because I lived here for one year when I was about 10 years old or so. I did make a journey to the old homestead which was fun for old times sake.

I went to the Joslyn Museum. The building was built in 1931 and in 1938, it was listed among the 100 finest buildings in the United States. It was a pretty stupendous Art Deco building. The outside was all done in pink Georgia marble – I guess we could call it Pretty In Pink (I know, I know – that is pretty bad). There were a few interesting art pieces but I must admit, the building itself was the star of the show.




The inner courtyard

Art Institutes always have such elegant dining options.  Sliders and animal crackers - yum


I always thought Jackson Pollack was sort of over-rated. 
Now I find that the more I know about him, the more fascinating his work becomes. 
Note: Jackson Pollack does not use a brush to paint, he just drips paint onto a canvas - hence his nickname - Jack the Dripper

Chihuly Gone Wild:









In the Native American section - it cracked me up



I am generally not a fan of zoos. Unless, of course, they are all about research, conservation and education. Somebody I met told me that I needed to go to the Omaha Zoo which is all about those things. It didn't hurt when I also heard that it was the second largest zoo in the United States, right behind the San Diego Zoo. I tried to pick a good warm day so that the animals could be outside if they wanted. What is interesting about this zoo, is that it is a series of buildings and outdoor spaces.


I think the Jungle Building was my favorite. You walked through the greenery and felt that you were really walking through the jungle. Birds were flying free and there were several colonies of bats that were hanging around in the open. 







Pygmy Hippopotomus


Everybody seemed pretty laid back

Lots of wildlife to see

There were yellow frogs


And blue frogs

From the jungle to dry arid biosphere


Doesn't he look like he is posing? 
Giraffes are becoming endangered - in the last 15 years, they have lost 40% of their population.

And we finally have a nice day, complete with green grass


Of  course there was another Junior Ranger opportunity - Lewis and Clark National Trail.  Score!!! 

I am going to finally call it Spring.  There will be no more snow in the homeland.  I think it is time that I journey home.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment