Monday, March 26, 2018

Jamestown - Not The Virginia One - The Other One

Miko and I left the Cumberland Gap and headed over to Jamestown, Tennessee which is where my dear friend Kathy lives. I parked in her driveway – I think in the RV world they call it Moochdocking.  It was nice, I had water and electricity hookup but I could spend most of my time in her house, lounging in front of the fireplace. This was a true luxury as the weather gods had the audacity to actually snow on me. I leave Minnesota to come down south to get out of the cold and what happens? SNOW.!!! Kathy helped get me past this setback as her sister had sent her, for her birthday, about fifty pounds of chocolate. This was not your Hershey or Dove type of chocolate – this was Neuhaus – luxury Belgian chocolate. Folks, I'm also not exaggerating about the fifty pounds either. Well, maybe I am a tiny bit – but it was a massive gift. Chocolate, fireplace and a good friend – I can weather any type of misfortune.

Just Yuk!!!


My antenna broke and since I'm not good in high places, Kathy took pity on me and fixed it


Walking the woods behind Kathy's place - Miko in a rare unleashed mode L-R: Jaspar, Tux, Miko

And now a front view.....Miko is not allowed on couches


The area where Kathy leaves is on the Cumberland Plateau and this particular area is supposed to have, in the United States, the second largest number of rock arches in one place . The place with the most arches is Arches National Park in Utah, of course. The premier set of arches in Tennessee is called Twin Arches because there are two of them, duh. We debated taking all the dogs to hike to the arches but we were really glad that we didn't. There were some really steep narrow stairs that the dogs couldn't not have gotten done. Hey, I barely made it down these stairs myself.


The stairs - they were worse in person than in the photo


North Arch



More North Arch




I walked on top of one of the arches, yes I did - looking over the edge would have been way too much for me


Number Facts: The North Arch has a clearance of 51 feet, a span of 93 feet and its deck is 62 feet high: South Arch has a clearance of 70 feet, a span of 135 feet and its deck is 103 feet high.

Hazard Cave is a very special spot for Kathy. It was one of the very last outings that she and her husband Bill did together before he passed on. The walk down to the cave was beautiful, lots of rocks, lots of rhododendrons, sort of a mossy secret place. The cave itself was big but what made it special for me was when Kathy took out her Indian flute and played in the cave. She was playing for Bill and that, with the sound of moving water and the largeness of the cave, it was very moving.









No comments:

Post a Comment