Monday, March 14, 2022

I Didn't See Any Sheep

 

I made it to California!!! I've tried for several years to camp here and have always not quite made it. I'm here!!! I have a new state sticker on my Camping Map!!




I started off my California adventure in Borrego Springs, a small town in southwestern California. Incidently, Borrego means sheep. One of Borrego Springs' claims to fame is that it has been designated as a Dark-Sky Community. The stars here are incredible. I tried to take pictures, but evidently phone cameras are not quite up to the task or maybe it is me. Borrego has a really mellow retro vibe, it seems sort of stuck in the sixties. I'm digging it, man. It is perched on the north side of the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, which is the largest California state park, area-wise. I was planning on doing a bunch of hiking in the Park, but it was extremely hot. I guess I might be called a weather wimp. There is lots of good stuff here, but I'm mainly here to see Galleta Meadows Estate. Sculptor Ricardo Breceda has made more than 100 metal statues of animals randomly (or so it seems) scattered around the desert.


What's that I spy in the desert?

Oh, I see




This is the one that everybody takes a picture of.  It is huge and continues on across the road.


I'm particularly fond of this one.  It's placement is perfect




Ok, this one called to me also




This is the road that I walked Miko down every night.


No comments:

Post a Comment