Sunday, December 20, 2020

Journey To The Center Of The World

 

Yes, yes, I know it is hard to believe but I have been to the Center of the World. But let us back up a bit.

The town of Felicity California was established in 1986 by Jacques-Andre Istel, who also became the mayor. Istel is considered to be the 'Father of American Skydiving, as he is considered to be widely responsible for popularizing parachuting in the US. I think he made his money in investment banking, I was told that the museum has received no grants of any sort, it is truly a labor of love. As far as I could see, the totality of the town  consists of a main building, a few rental units  and is on track to being considered as a World Heritage Site. Oh, and of course there is the gift shop. The museum consists of dozens of granite panels, gathered together in rows over 100 feet long. Each individual panel weighs over 500 pounds. Etched on the panels is a historical record of humanity as chronicled by Istel.

Istel named the town after his wife Felicia who is now 92 years old. She greeted me and gave me an introductory overview of the Museum. I have to say – she was a spry older woman – I had to run sometimes to keep up with her and she was sharp as a tack. She took me to a pyramid and unlocked the door. I was allowed to go inside and stand on a small circle which is the legal Center of the World. As I stood there, I looked thru the Museum up to a small chapel on a man made hill. I was told to make a wish and after Felicia carefully noted the time, I received a certificate saying that I had been to the Center of the World. I am allowed to come back at any time, with my certificate, and go to the Center of the World and make another wish.

How this became the LEGAL Center of the World


Getting Ready To Enter The Pyramid



And Here It Is!!!
The Center of the World

Looking up to the tiny chapel



Looking Down From the Chapel


There is a Rosetta Stone so that people or aliens in the future
will be able to read the history of humanity



One of panels in the Animals of the World section


I think this row might have been all about the French Foreign Legion


There were other sights to see:



An arm from Michelangelo's painting



The Eiffel Tower was built in 1889 with this heavy iron steps.  In 1983, the steps had become very worn from the millions of people that walked up them and needed to be replaced. Besides being worn down, these heavy steps were causing the tower to sway.  Istel bought this section which came from part way up the tower and brought it to the US.  



Actual steps from the actual Eiffel Tower. 


No comments:

Post a Comment