Thursday, November 26, 2020

Movin' On Down

 

On my way south to try to be warm, I stopped at Picacho Peak State Park. I was here about five years ago when I was first starting out traveling in an RV. I remember being so thrilled to be on the road and so ecstatic with everything I was seeing. I FaceTimed with my granddaughter who was only five at the time and ran around showing her the scenery – the mountain, the cactus. I was beside myself with joy. I am a little bit more jaded now, perhaps a bit more introspective. That doesn't mean that I don't think this lifestyle is special, but perhaps the newness, the 'whats over the next hill' is not quite as strong as it was then. I think I sort of miss that 'joie de vivre'. On the other hand, I do not miss that frantic stage that newbie Rvers go thru where they are rushing around and trying to see the whole world in a week.

I had stopped at Picacho because I wanted hookups after boondocking for ten days in Sedona. Of course Picacho Peak had a problem with their water and had shut it down so all that was available was electricity which I really didn't need. That is ok, Picacho is a lovely little park where you can sit outside and contemplate the Peak itself.


As I said - nice campground



Jogger and me having a dinner conversation



I was heading to Tucson to visit my favorite second cousin. Cousin Ann is 95, in assisted living and sharp as a tack. I decided that I would stay at (horrors) an RV park that was only ten minutes away from her when I found that somebody had canceled their reservation at Catalina State Park. I was able to get two days there and it was lovely. There are five mountain ranges that surround Tucson and I think, without a doubt, the Santa Catalina Mountains are the prettiest and most impressive of them all.






View out the back window of my camper



One of the trails next to the campground - look....no rocks on the trail


Yes, that is snow on the mountain - I arrive, it snows


These Saguaro Cactus are ancient. 
They say it takes one of these guys 70 years to grow just one arm.  Imagine how old this guy is.



My kind of cactus - there is not a single spine on it. 
I touched it and it didn't try to kill me unlike other cactus encounters I've had.  


No comments:

Post a Comment