Wednesday, October 16, 2024

A Slow Start

Following my long travel day and my running around town, I was exhausted and decided that I needed to take a very, very short nap. Two hours later, I woke up at 6:15, realizing I was late for the very first Gate 1 Tour Group Orientation at 6pm. Rushing down to the orientation, I found everybody sitting down, listening with rapt attention to our tour guide, Phil. I must admit, it was not quite the introduction that I wanted to make with my fellow travelers. Ok, I was a tad bit embarrassed. All I could say was sorry and, in my head, oh well. 

 Our first day with Gate 1, we loaded into a bus with a step-on guide to get a city tour of Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a grand city – lots of Victorian architecture and many, many gardens. After the drive-by city tour, we were dropped off at Edinburgh Castle, up on the high end of the Royal Mile. Research undertaken in 2014 identified 26 sieges in its 1,100 -year history, giving it a claim to having been “the most besieged place in Great Britain and one of the most attacked in the world” - Wiki 

Edinburgh Castle buildings range from the 11th century to current day and is the most visited paid tourist attraction in Scotland and it sure was crowded. Part of the attraction is that the 'Honours of Scotland', also known as the Scottish Crown Jewels are available to view. They date from the 15th and 16th century and are the oldest surviving set of crown jewels in the British Isles. Basically, the Crown Jewels consiste of the Crown of Scotland, the Sceptre, and the Sword of State.  There was also a giant sword called the Elizabeth Sword which was very fancy and shiny.   Pictures were not allowed. After a quick lunch, we were set free to explore Edinburgh on our own for the afternoon. 

Edinburgh Castle

St. Margaret's Chapel - believed to be the oldest building in Edinburgh


I have a friend who is enamored with Pigeons. 
A mighty fine example this one was.



 My Rving friends, Lou and Davey, were also on the tour along with a couple of their friends Dave and Gretchen. Lou, Davey and I decided to spend the afternoon at the Museum of Art. That evening, there was an optional dinner with a whiskey pairing. I did not attend because a) you had to plan ahead and make reservations which of course I didn't do and b) I do not care for whiskey.

Phoebe Anna Traquair 1852-1936
The Progress Of A Soul: The Entrance
Silk and gold thread embroidered on linen.


Look at this detail
Can you imagine how long this must have taken to create?


I love when you leave comments.  It makes feel like I'm not all alone in the world.  If you do leave a comment, could you please say who you are?  I would love to know.  

7 comments:

  1. Cindy, we’re only 8000 miles apart! Currently in Kyoto. See you when we all get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy, Blanche here. I enjoy following your free-spirited travels. I liked Edinborough castle, but I loved the highlands. Keep me posted please 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was with her. I am envious of her noticing such details. I love to read her blogs when we travel together, 'cause I see lots of stuff I missed. She's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable pigeon :-), Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to reading more of your perspective on the trip we shared. I enjoyed every moment of our time together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The comment above is from me. Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing info about your trip. Sounds like you really needed some good 😴. Janet Honek

    ReplyDelete