Saturday, March 30, 2024

20,000 Leagues Under The Seas

 I am in Spain to do a food tour with Culinary Backstreets. Culinary Backstreets is a company that does food tours all around the world. This particular food tour is in Galicia (said Ga-lee-thee-a). Galicia is an area in northwest Spain and known for it's seafood, Albarino wine and bagpipes.

Let me just say at the start, that I have never, ever in my whole life eaten so many different types of fish and seafood or drank so much wine. It was lovely. Warning: There will be lots of food pictures that will be posted.  I can't say that I remember what all of it was but it was all good - well....maybe not the sea urchins .

I left Barcelona at the crack of dawn and hopped on a plane to the western side of Spain, to a town called Vigo. Vigo started out as a small village but has grown into the largest town in Galicia due mostly to it's harbor. I met the other participants on the food tour – there were ten of us, along with a photographer. We had a brief walking tour of the harbor area before going to a restaurant called The Mosquito. This was to be our first introduction to the foods and wines of Galicia. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I know I did not expect course after course of wonderful food. This was going to be a great trip.




Jules Verne mentioned Vigo in his book "20,000 Leagues Under The Seas". He had never been to Vigo when he wrote the book but he remedied that a few years after the book was published.

I looked out my hotel room and saw all these white dots in the harbor.  


They were itsy bitsy sailboats.  They must have been having a regatta.

These arches on these houses were built to let the sea come rushing in during high tide.


Sardine pie, razor clams(a favorite) and shrimp

Scallop


A fabulous dessert - it had a cream filling


2 comments: