Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Cherry Blossoms - A Time of Renewal

 

No matter how many times you go to Washington D.C., you can never see it all. You could hang out there for weeks and weeks and just scratch the surface. It is really a problem for a completist like myself. This time, I spent almost a week here and the time whizzed by. I will say, though, this time my timing was really spot on.

It is Cherry Blossom Festival time!! This is a month long festival that occurs when the cherry blossom are in bloom and I got there right at peak. How lucky am I? The cherry blossoms were a friendship gift from Japan in 1912. They are glorious.





The Jefferson Memorial




The National Museum of the American Indian deals with the culture of indigenous peoples of the Americas. It opened in 2004 and is a beautiful building. I heard somebody ask a docent why the museum was called 'of the American Indian'. The docent asked that person where they were born. They said they were born in New York. The docent then said that made the person a Native American. I had to look it up and 'Native American', 'American Indian' and 'Indigenous people' are currently acceptable terms for what it is worth.


Ok, I guess I'm sort of on Jefferson's case lately.  He said and did a lot of great things but geez.

Union Station - so many grand buildings in D.C.



Thinker On A Rock
Barry Flanagan


The National Museum of American History is four stories tall and almost the length of a city block. I spent three and a half hours in the museum and I only explored one floor before I ran out of time.  There were so many interesting displays.  

These two need no introduction


Yes...I stood on the stage at Woodstock!!!!  
Be still my heart!

Signpost from the set of M*A*S*H*


Way back in 2016, I posted about a visit to the Lunch Box Museum in Columbus Georgia. 
People laughed at me and thought I was silly.
But look - the Smithsonian has finally caught up to my most refined sensibilities.  



1 comment:

  1. You never seize to put a smile on my face reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete