Sunday, January 29, 2023

Rock Garden

 I was planning on spending the whole winter in Minnesota. Then it got super cold. Then it snowed and snowed. I said, I give up – I'm outta here. I fired up the old camper, loaded it with food, wine and other essentials and headed out. No more ice and cold for this girl.

The first night I ended up in Janesville, Wisconsin at the local Elks Lodge. I couldn't get the camper level but at least they had electricity that I could plug into so I could be warm. Moved on to Crawfordsville Indiana for the night – stopping here again for the electricity. Louisville, Kentucky and then to my first real destination – my friend Kathy's farm in the mountains of eastern Tennessee. I love being there, I don't love driving those narrow twisty up and down mountain roads. I spent four days there, eating good food, meeting nice people and riding horses. I even got to have a lesson with Kathy's trainer which was great fun.

After leaving Kathy's farm, I drove to Calhoun Georgia home of the Calhoun Rock Garden.

The Rock Garden is behind a Seventh Day Adventist Church. It was started in 2007 by DeWitt 'Old Dog' Boyd. Boyd said that he began the garden to 'keep me out of trouble, I'm kind of a scroundrel.'

This volunteer-built, folk art pleasance is a must-see! In addition to the acre of flowers and greenery, there is the captivating artistry of more than 50 diminutive buildings. The structures, all crafted from tiny stones, pebbles, shells, odd pieces of broken glass and china, rocks, ceramic tile, cement, wire and other materials, are designed to imitate their larger counterparts. There are wee-sized churches, houses, castles, a monestary, cathedrals such as a structure modeled after the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, France, with stained-glass windows; and minikin porcelain figures of people and animals, some as small as two inches.  “ explore georgia website.

Little Town of Bethlehem


This would have been truly lovely if it were fall instead of the dead of winter









Notre Dame


You can see how big Notre Dame is in the Rock Garden



The Coliseum
















1 comment:

  1. I wonder if there were any tiny chairs in there?

    ReplyDelete