Friday, November 19, 2021

A Little Culture In The Big City

 

I was planning on spending a week in Washington D.C. But then I started looking at extended forecasts. It looks like all across the central U.S., temperature highs are going to be in the fifties and lows in the thirties. I thought that I had better start moving a little bit quicker (but not too quickly) in a more southerly route. So, Washington D.C. is off the books.

You cannot go to Richmond Virginia without a visit to the Edgar Allan Poe Museum. Richmond was where Poe spent his early years as a foster child. Poe made a decision early on that writing was what he was supposed to do with his life, hence he had rather a hard financial life. Although he is mostly known for his poetry and short stories, he is considered the inventor of the detective fiction genre. Interesting facts: He married his thirteen year old cousin (move over Jerry Lee Lewis). The cause of his death is not known, but there were some very strange circumstances. What I found extremely interesting though is that I've always heard that he was a drunk and never-do-well. Turns out that is not totally true. He had a rival who loathed him. After Poe's death, this person spread all sorts of sordid rumors about him and his character which have become “established” facts.




The Museum of Fine Art had a wonderful exhibit on Man Ray: The Paris Years. He was a pioneering photographer, although he considered himself more a painter than a photographer. What was cool was that when he lived in Paris , he did portraits of many of the art movers and shakers of the twenties and thirties eras. To see these artists and be reminded of their influence on modern day life, most of them in their prime, was a treat. Picasso, James Joyce, Salavador Dali, Gertrude Stein, among others.

I particularly liked the glass exhibit, especially as it contrasted with the Oglebay glass that I had seen a few days earlier. From the spectacular everyday glass in Wheeling to the Chihuly and Tiffany glass in Richmond.



Tiffany



Chihuily


This was sort of an optical illusion.  See the next picture.

Look how skinny it is looking at it straight on.


Of course in a town like Richmond, there had to be some Junior Ranger opportunities. First up was the Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site. Ms. Walker is known for the first chartered bank in the United States founded by a black woman. I got confused because I was thinking that I was going to the C.J. Walker site (another black woman who has the distinction of being the first self-made woman millionaire). I was surprised that I wasn't where I thought I was. Maggie L. Walker was a good charitable, god-fearing woman.

My other Junior Ranger opportunity was Richmond Battlefields. There are multiple visitor centers but only a few are open. I went to the Cold Harbor site. The entire visitor center was a tiny little building with a few displays with one lone little ranger. Now, let me be upfront in that battlefields are not my favorite. Since I was the only one there, Ranger Nathan took me under his wing and explained the ins and outs of the Cold Harbor battle. I have to say that Ranger Nathan brought it to life with his enthusiasm. At one point, I was on the edge of my seat..will General Lee prevail? Will that no-good McClellan hold forth. I felt like I was there watching the battle unfold. Well done Ranger Nathan.



I know I'm back down south when I can get my Pimento cheese.  The Fireball is just a bonus.







1 comment: