Saturday, February 13, 2021

Cowboys and Cars

 

By the time I got to Phoenix, I had evidently spaced out the fact that I had spent a couple of nights in Kingman, Arizona. I feel that I have to add a post about Kingman because this blog is now mostly written for me. I definitely need it to remember where I've been and what I did. I would have no past without this blog.

Kingman has a few items of note – it has a Route 66 Museum which is situated right on the old Route 66. Imagine that. Of course, Old Historic Route 66 in Kingman is also called Andy Devine Avenue because Andy Devine was one of the town's most famous residents. Andy Devine was a western movie actor probably most famous for being the white hat hero's sidekick. He was Cookie, Roy Rogers sidekick and Jingles, Wild Bill Hickok's sidekick.




Speaking of Route 66:

In 1857, Lt. Beale was commissioned to survey and develop a “winter-proof” route to the West. In addition to all the men, mules and dogs, the caravan included 25 camels fresh from Egypt. Part of Beale's assignment to build the road included testing the success of camels in the southwest for future military use. If you remember in my post about Quartzsite, I visited the tomb of Hi Jolly, one of the camel herders on this expedition. Route 66 was also made famous by John Steinbeck when he wrote the “Grapes of Wrath' which told the tale of the Great Depression when many families took to the Mother Road in search of better fortune.


Inside the Route 66 Museum, there was also a whole floor dedicated to Electric Cars.

Waylon Jennings Electric golf cart was there


Of course Willie Nelson had to one-up Waylon and put a large bar on his golf cart



This car was a Ohio State student built car. 
It set a record of 303.025 mph in 2009 at the Bonneville Salt Flats.


And then this one was built in 1909.  


I can't imagine this one quite caught on, but the solar panels are rather impressive


They say Studebaker is the only car company to 'span the time from settlers' wagons to high performance automobiles in it's 114 year history. '  1852-1966
(Disclosure: This one is not an electric car)


4 comments:

  1. Great to see your blog, know that you are on the road again (as Willie would sing). We always enjoy the pictures and the commentary. Where are you headed next? I have been saving the Atlas Obscura post for the American Pigeon Museum in Oklahoma City OK to mail to you, knowing your interest in obscure museums, but I don't know if I can send USPS mail to you as you are travelling. How does that work? We think about your visit every time we make Rumbledethumps. Good wintertime food. It is snowing here, and we narrowly missed an ice storm yesterday--even better to miss since we currently have no working generator thus no heat, no water! We filled some 5-gallon jugs just in case, but no solution for the cold. Snowdrops are blooming here and the first green of the crocuses is showing. These things are normal for this place at valentines day, but overall the weather is warmer than past winters. JAG and I had our first vaccines (I got Pfizer, he god Maderna), next rounds scheduled for 2/25 and 3/5. Hope we will be travelling soon, too. My dream trip right now is middle route to Montana and California, return through Washington State and MN. LOoking forward to your next blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you. I’ve added the Pigeon Museum to my list. Sounds right up my alley.
    I’m so glad you got your vaccines. I’m trying to figure out how I can get mine while I’m on the road.
    Take care and make sure you look me up when you are passing thru Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YesAuto UK Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... Opti Coat Pro Denver

    ReplyDelete