Sunday, August 30, 2015

Tony Comes Camping!!!!


Tony and I are going on the road!!!!! Yay Us!!!!!! We are going to squeeze in a few days of R&R – both of us need it big time. Five days gone – no worries, no cares.

I tried to make reservations last week for Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo Wisconsin. It is only about four hours away and there is a lot to see and do there. Unfortunately, there was no room at the park – all those people trying to get the last few rays of summer under their belts. This week they had openings, I guess all those same folks are getting the wee ones ready for school since most schools start next week.
 
I am now storing the RV in Lake Elmo – which is closer to my house and easier to get to and from. We loaded up the RV (boy – did we bring a lot of food – interesting how much food two people think they need to survive). It took us a few minutes to hook up the car behind the RV – I haven't done that since I got back into town last April and with a memory like mine – well, there is a lot that is challenging in the world for me. All systems go – Miko tried to convince us that she would just meet us when we got to our destination – she really does not like riding in the RV or any vehicle for that matter.

The trip was pretty uneventful – although there was a personal first for me. Usually when I am traveling by myself, if it is a travel day, I get in the RV and don't stop driving until I get to my destination. If I get hungry, I just eat a protein bar as I drive along. I just want to get to where I'm going. This time though, Tony and I stopped at a rest stop, made sandwiches and then carried them out to the picnic tables and ate. It was a pleasant stop and I may have to reconsider how I travel in the future.

We got to the Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo Wisconsin successfully. I really hate parks who, even though you have paid a camping fee, still want you to pay every time you enter the park. Luckily, I have a Wisconsin State Park sticker on the RV so that made the RV legal, but they wanted to charge me for the car. Again, we lucked out because inside of the park, there is the Ice Age National Trail. Since I have my senior National Park pass (one of the best purchases I have ever made - $10 gives me lifetime National Park benefits), I don't have to pay for my car. Again – Yay Us!!!!!!

We get to our site – a lovely site – huge, neighbors not too close, shady with big trees and a lot of underbrush between sites. I back the RV in and put down my automatic levelers. This site is so unlevel (both front to back, and also side to side) that the automatic levelers say “you are on your own – it is too big of a job for us”. I cannot get level – I move the RV forward – that doesn't work. I move it backwards – that doesn't work. I move it to the left, I move it to the right – nada. I finally get the RV sort of kiddy corner, askew, off center -  blocking off half of our site, with a clever use of boards and we are level. It only took about an hour to do what is normally a two minute job.
 

 

I was worried about the site I picked with it being in the trees because I was thinking that it would be prime mosquito territory. I have been pleasantly surprised that those critters seem to be off bothering others.
 
Low key night – lounging outside in the beautiful weather. This is what it is about.
Looking Up From My Lawn Chair
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment